Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Bind recursive queries quota.

From: Thomas Cannon <tcannon () noops org>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 20:49:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Jul 2002, Guanglong Zhang wrote:

Hello Robert,

Hm....??I meet the same problem of bind9 recursive queries DOS.
Does anyone have solution?

Yes. Turn off recursive queries going to your external DNS servers. They
should only resolve domains that they serve, and junk anything else that
comes to them.

I'd also highly reccomend dumping the Buggy Internet Name Daemon and
running djbdns externally, and set up DNS caches internally and pointing
your machine at them. Not only is this a more robust solution, but djbdns
has a perfect security record. djbdns is written by Dan Bernstein, the
same person who wrote qmail. It's small, very fast, and easy to configure
and maintain. In fact, since I've set it up, I have yet to have it crash
or malfunction in any way -- something I can't say has been my experience
with BIND.

If you can't afford seperate name servers, you can still get djbdns and
dnscache on the same machine by binding to different IP addresses.

Relevant link:

http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html

Cheers,

Thomas