Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: chaging your @home IP address... could you take a bunch of them....probably.

From: "b0iler _" <b0iler () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2002 20:21:12 -0700

I had a simular idea a few weeks ago, I posted to bsrf's message board and no one replied.

http://dvd.box.sk/wb/index.php3?did=blacksun&disp=65015

If you don't want to visit that link here is the post:

"
Posted by b0iler *.tnt1.holman.wi.da.uu.net - 2002/Jan/26 09:27

Cable lan hacking..

I had an idea recently, but I suck at C and don't have cable.. so no way to test it.

The goal is simple: get around restrictions cable isps set on users. The 400kb/s "cap" they put on you or whatever. The idea is to spoof the ips/macs of other users on the lan inorder to trick the isp into thinking the requests are comming from more than one customer and therefore it will give you 400kb/s per ip/mac. Since it's a lan, this will be non-blind spoofing, so sniffing the packets will allow you to read them. And if for some reason you can't just send random packets with spoofed ips out and sniff them you can DoS the other users (also works to increase overall bandwidth problems in the lan ;)

It's possible right? I mean you could get like 5mb/s if you had 20 or so ips going at once and sniffing them.
"

seems like it would work, but as someone posted the "cap" might not be set by the ip/mac/user but purhaps the modem.