Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Re: ssh trojaned

From: "Nick Lange" <nicklange () wi rr com>
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 09:02:38 -0500

Ok, a weekend late [ I forgot to send this]...

once again, forcing a web of trust on the code we deploy anyways...
so we can either take up Signature authorities for files on the net [Which I
don't like... as this is only the first real case of poisoned files on a big
distro]
OR
have MD5 Sums from multiple locations pulled and then an average presented
to the user, assuming that these locations wouldn't be updated as fast
[perhaps forcing a 1-2 day delay on updating any sums for a given mirror
except for new entries?] we can increase the probability that a release can
be trusted slightly...
or perhaps, if I am mirror A have a watchdog script compare my md5 sum to
every other md5 sum accross the mirrors, and take some action should the
ratio of unmatching MD5's falls below a certain percentage...
or something like that.
Do scripts like that exist already?
Cheers,
nick