Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: combinations of 4

From: martin f krafft <madduck () madduck net>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:09:14 +0200

also sprach KF <dotslash () snosoft com> [2002.04.07.0301 +0200]:
I am in the process of archiving power pc instructions that do not
contain null... I have come to the decision that if I could generate a
list of all possible unique 4 char combinations for a given list of
alpha numeric chars then I could quickly sort the rest out in gdb...

My question is does anyone know how to programatically do this? Do i
need to make use of bit shifting or something? I need only a program to
print the list to the screen or something simple. Example output would
be ...

AAAA
BBBBB
AAAB
AAAC
and so on but ONLY unique posibilities.

uhm, since you are talking combinations:

  #!/bin/sh
  CHARS="A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z"
  for q in "$CHARS"; do
    for r in "$CHARS"; do
      for s in "$CHARS"; do
        for t in "$CHARS"; do
          echo $q$r$s$t
        done
      done
    done
  done

permutations are harder. maybe i am also confusing the two. but for
permutations, the c++ standard template library provides algorithms...

and best of all, it's already sorted ;)

--

prepBut nI vrbLike adjHungarian! qWhat's artThe adjBig nProblem?
                                               -- alec flett @netscape