Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: RCA cable modem Deny of Servic

From: "Gabriel A. Maggiotti" <gmaggiot () ciudad com ar>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 15:08:28 -0300

-----Mario Lorenz wrote ---------
[...]
        If you   connect to the second device  (10.x.x.x) on port 80,

RCA cable
modem reset the user connection with inet. I proved it with my own
wan
ip 10.1.1
.x and with other  cablemodem users  IP's in the same wan.   All of
them  reset
 when I remotly  connect to port 80 of the cablemodems.

This is probably more a software bug or an annoyance than a DOS
vulnerability.
You should not be allowed connect to the 10.x.x.x IPs anyway. Your
Provider
can fix this with a simple filter rule either provisioned into each
cable
modem or on the CMTS. It has always been good practice to separate
Customer
networks and Management networks (to which the 10.x.x.x Modem IP's
belong).
That is not cable modem specific. Write an advisory about your Cable
Provider
acking proper security measures, not about the cable modem :)

Do you relly think that if you connect to (10.x.x.x) on port 80 and
cablemodem reset
is not a DOS?
I understand that could be becouse of a default misconfiguration, but
i'm very sure
that RCA vendors dont want the cablemodem reset when you connect to it.
And I think that by default cablemodem  must have 2 separated devices.

If I'm wrong please let me know.

Regard, Gabriel A. Maggiotti