Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

limewire cookie (among others) disclosure vuln

From: "leon" <leon () inyc com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 16:59:54 -0400

Hi everyone,

Aleph One suggested I post this here to get a more polished version for
an advisory.  Here is what I have found and I am sure most of the people
here can test this and develop it even further.  Limewire is a gnutella
file sharing client.  Due to common misconfigurations by the user,
people are sharing their whole harddrives.  This means you can do
everything from downloading someone's quicken data file (quicken is a
money management program) to downloading cookies off peoples hard
drives.  Who cares about the cookies you say?  Well I have found cookies
from certain sites that contains people user name & password stored in
clear text.  I am sure with enough testing you could figure out a way to
dump the sam file off an NT box or etc etc.

Anyone who wants to run with this great I would just appreciate if you
do further the research you let me know what you find.

Cheers Vuln-Dev,

Leon

ps: sorry for screwing up the packet capture on the aol im 0-day post.