Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Telnetd exploit for solaris

From: "Gnuthad" <securityfocus () aussie mine nu>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 14:07:17 +1000

On 6 Sep 2001, at 21:01, fintler wrote:

If he's researching on how exploits are developed why doesn't he/she
take a look at the thousands of exploits already out there? What's so
special about this one?

Why is it up to you to determine what is special about any particular
exploit? I don't care too much about CodeRed because I don't run IIS
as my web server, however, I'm still interested in it because of how
it worked. Is it therefore wrong of me to search for the code for
CodeRed and determine exactly how it worked? After all, how it worked
*might* be able to be adapted to other platforms/servers. How do I
know unless I get a copy to check first?

You say admins use exploits to test their own hardware, but you also
mention that after a patch is applied, it may only prevent that
particular version of the exploit to work, while others that are
circulated less,  still do. Don't you think that this may provide a
false sense of security in that the admin may now think that the system
is no longer vulnerable because that particular exploit the admin found
on bugtraq no longer works? Wouldn't a detailed explanation of the
problem that gets into the specific details (aka advisary) be more
useful and cause less problems compared to something that can be
compiled straight off the list?

Se above, one exploit may provide indiactions of other exploits that
other people have not yet seen. I was always under the assumption
that this was the way Open Source worked, give everyone access to the
source so you have hundreds/thousands of independant minds looking
over the code and optimising/debugging/improving it where only a
handful would otherwise be able to do this.

I don't really see what you mean by community, a community is just a
group or ppl who share a common interest. From my point of view all I
see is a *very* small percentage who share an interest in pitching in,
and a very large group that takes that work and uses it for some type of
personal gain. For example, out of the many people who subscribe to
bugtraq, how many have ever thrown their 2 cents in, I'm almost positive
it is a small percent.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise that subscription to any of the
securityfocus mailing lists was dependant on "throwing my 2 cents
in". I'll be sure to unsubscribe immediately.  While I might not be
able to assist by writing code/finding exploits, I'm sure it would be
very obvious to all and sundry that, just by lurking here and reading
all about CodeRed, had I been vulnerable to the exploit and patched
my system, I would have helped hundreds or thousands of people around
the world by not being yet another exploited server that was sending
useless crap onto the internet from CodeRed.

Gnuthad

PGP Key Block available at:
http://aussie.mine.nu/aussie/pgp_key.txt