Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Fwd: Please post this anonymously (without my email-address and such)

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 22:44:42 -0700

A few of my co-workers and I were just discussing the new error reporting
functions of Internet Explorer, and we came up with a nasty idea for a virus
utilizing that function as a method of causing a DoS.  The idea is to write
a virus that propagates through email (nothing new here) and exploits
Outlook and Outlook Express to achieve that propagation.  This virus would
essentially cause the autopreview pane of Outlook to open viewing some type
of HTML/ASP, etc in a way that would cause IE to crash when attempting to
sort it.  At that point, with the more recent releases of IE, there would be
an automatic initiation of debug data sent to Microsoft, through using DNS
to resolve.

Obvious effects would be a likely DoS on business networks and on
Microsoft's debug servers.  Other effects could include difficulty in
reaching and downloading patches for the vulnerabilities in the software (if
Microsoft patch servers are utilizing the same WAN link as the debug
servers), as well as possible effects upon DNS servers, especially at
Microsoft.  In addition, as has already been talked about, an enormous
amount of private information possibly stored on the debugs would be
forwarded as well.  I would imagine that this type of virus could also
effect other kinds of "bugzilla" services.

Just a thought...