Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: New Remote Hole found in Berkeley Fingerd!

From: Graeme Fowler <graeme.fowler () hosteurope com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:40:15 -0000

GOBBLES wrote:

We have discovered a remote vulnerability in Berkeley finger, which is
somewhat trivial to exploit.  The vendor has been notified

Urh, right. This is an old hole in a really old script, not a new hole in
the actual finger daemon itself.

Simple input validation hole, really. If anyone's still using that old code
without any modification then, well, enough said I guess. In fact, in this
day and age if someone still has a publically available finger script,
then...

Graeme