Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: IE 5.x (5.50.4522.1800 SP1) Crash at gopher://:

From: Sven van ´t Veer <sven () vip br>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 18:30:06 -0300

when typing shell://: in netscape, it warns that shell is not a registered protocol and crashes when clicking OK.

Bo Stark wrote:

At 11:42 2001-05-16 +0100, you wrote:

Now, the wierd thing is this. I've managed to make this happen a few times,
but it seems slightly random. Wonder if anyone else can reproduce this:

1. type shell://: hit return. Normal extra window appears
2. type shell://:; hit return. TWO extra windows appear
3. type shell://:;; hit return. 2 or 3 extra windows appear
4. type shell://: hit return. Explorer comes back with an exception error:

The Exception unknown software exception (0xc00000fd) occurred in the
application at location 0x76c82587

"shell://:;" crashed both ie and explorer.exe on one machine.
It didn't work on two other with SP2, so I guess SP2 will fix it.

However, "gopher://:"; still makes them crash ie.