Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Modern hw-killing virus feasible

From: Bart <ti () OVERFLOW HRO NL>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 19:57:03 +0100

Hi,

Doesn't seem anything really new. The CIH Virus
 http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=10300&; ) written in 1998 did
something like what you are describing. On a set date it tried to flash the
bios with garbage, making the infected pc unable to boot.

Alot of hardware can probably be killed this way, as a lot of hardware these
days have flashable eeprom's. The only problem is is that they have various
ways of flashing the eeprom, thus making it (virtually) impossible for a
virus to have a generic (flash-)payload for a lot of hardware.

Kind Regards,

Bart