Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Hijack IP Address using cable modem

From: Patrick Maartense <patrick () MAARTENSE COM>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:56:59 +0200

x ARP request for 6.240.183.248 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.250 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.251 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.252 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.253 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 6.240.183.254 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                               x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0                                             x

I make a ping sweep here for  network that is configured by the ISP
I do that from a REMOTE network lets say www.micro-soft.com ( Just Kidding)
since the ROUTER at the ISP does not know wher to find these adresses it makes an
ARP request

now whatch 1.95.202.249

on my box i have 1.95.202.173 as NORMAL address
so i do
ifconfig eth0:1 1.95.202.249
now again from www.micro-soft.com  i do
ping  1.95.202.249

then I see
x ARP request for 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from 00d0xxxxxxxx to ffffffffffff on
eth0      ===============
My iface replys
ARP reply from 1.95.202.249 (46 bytes) from xxxxxxxxxxxx  to xxxxxxxxxxxxxx on
eth0                                           x

no i make
route delete 0.0.0.0
route add 0.0.0.0 gw 1.95.202.1

and all trafic comming from there seems to come from  1.95.202.249

now i do telnet www.compaq.com 53
hackiti hack, clickiti click
do my stuf
aftwerwards do reboot my pc
all back to normal

next mornng guy from 1.95.202.249  wakes up next to Jim, just sentenced to
another 10 years for raping his cellmate...

catch my drift?

Patrick Patterson wrote:

I think I see where Patrick was coming from with this:

Victim turns on his computer, and gets an IP address
Cracker, while sniffing the Cable segment notices that IP adress foo is
assigned to MAC bar
Cracker changes his own MAC address to bar, and brings up IP address foo on
this new MAC address (some Ethernet cards have overwritable MAC addresses)
Since both Cracker and Victim have the same MAC, Cracker get's all packets
for Victims computer, and is able to impersonate victim.

This is just a slightly more sophisticated IP Address Spoofing attack.... and
I don't think it will work...

From what I know of Cablemodem networks, there are actually several parts.

1: The cable network - the 'Modem' talks to the Cable Company terminal
equipment and ensures that you are a valid subscriber.
2: The IP Network - the routers keep track of which IP and MAC, is on which
Cable Modem - thus making this attack unlikely to succeed....

I haven't tested this, and might be horribly wrong, but I don't think so -
this is one of those things that looks better in theory than in practice - Is
anyone from @HOME or ATT around to confirm/deny what's I've written?