Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: m4 and format strings

From: Matt Zimmerman <mdz () csh rit edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 14:31:13 -0400

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 12:52:40AM -0700, Samy Kamkar [CommPort5] wrote:

[elguapo@linux elguapo]$ m4 %x,%x,%x,%x,%x,%x,%x
m4: 0,bffff818,4000d2ce,805df78,8048c56,4002e0bc,4014af2c: No such file
or directory

can anyone think of a situation where this could cause root
to be exploitated... m4 is not suid to my understanding.

Since it's not suid by default, you can't gain root from it directly.
If another program (that is suid) is using it, then you might be able to
depending on how it's used...also, that's assuming that format string
bug is actually exploitable.  It's only opening that file so I doubt you
can do any exploitation with it...

If you can control the filename that is passed to m4 by a privileged program,
there are far easier ways to gain privileges than trying to exploit a format
string bug.  Instead, pass the name of a file that you created, with contents
like:

syscmd(touch /evil)

--
 - mdz