Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Recovering the activation key from a Win2K installation

From: "Zow" Terry Brugger <zow () presume llnl gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 07:50:08 -0700

As we all know, naughty students can get a working CDKEY from any number of
websites in a matter of minutes.

Yes, but the stated goal of the poster was to "protect the corporate license"
not to stop the students from pirating MS products. Essentially, this school
doesn't want the students to post their corporate license keys to the net,
which would result in Microsoft canceling the school's license.

In my mind, the idea of securing your CDKEY is like keeping the key to your
house on a string around your neck so nobody can steal it from you. If you
have another key under the door mat, nobody needs the one safely hanging
from your neck.

But if the key under your mat isn't to your house, then keeping your house key
around your neck is useful.

Terry