Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: All versions of Microsoft Internet Information Services, Remote buffer overflow (SYSTEM Level Access)

From: "Stefan R." <stef () idrci net>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:57:28 -0400

Hi,

The intriguing part is the relatively small size of the overflow condition
(240 chars without the code insertion).

We checked it against our CHX-I engine and - just as with the previous MS
overflow - we caught the attempt before it reached the web server(including
evasive variations of the overflow) with several fundamental overlapping
rules (size of request method, attempt to access null. objects, etc...).

Does anyone know the smallest overflow condition in a comercial server (web)
?

Regards,

R. Stefan
stef () idrci net