Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Update to "Code Red" Worm. Its a date bomb, not time.

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:06:38 -0700

emerson.c.tan () ca andersen com wrote:

An easy method would be to break up the estimated 196K infections accross a
statistical average of bandwidth accross the internet (excluding dial up's
as these are not likely to be terribly effective in the attack, nor are
they likely to have the right operating systems installed. In the vast
majority of cases we are talking about servers and permanently connected
workstations). A <Scientific Wild Ass Guess> guess is the figure is in the
order  of 1-10 's of meg per second. I was unable to find any good reliable
statistics about this sort of thing and if someone can point me in the
right direction I can do the analysis and see how it compares with what we
see tommorow.

Bandwidth generally won't be a problem, at least not all the way at
the client end.  For a SWAG, use a 128kbps link.  It's probably fair to
assume that many IIS servers will be on high-speed links.

128,000 bps * 1/8 B/b * 60 s/min * 60 min/hr * 24 hr/day =
more than 1.3 GB/day.

Or, 128Kbps * 10,000 attacking web servers = 1.2Gbps, or
about 2 OC-12s.

                                        BB