Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

win32k bug - Smss crashes when Csrss terminates

From: c0ncept () hushmail com
Date: Tue Jul 31 08:52:13 PDT 2001

okay...i sent this in once and it bounced, so here we go again...

        According to Inside Windows 2000 Server (the MS Press one, not
the Adison
Wisely) it talks about this in chapter 2 under Key System Components. If
the
user-mode Win32 subsytem would result in a system crash because the Smss
service (the parent process) performs a wait operation on csrss.exe (the
Win32 subsystem) and if the wait ever returns smss crashed the system.

 [It's in the discussion of why NT 4.0 didn't loos stability due to
including the GDI stuff in the kernel...]

        -- c0ncept