Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ASCII Char 255 crashes a network

From: Scott Fagg <scott.fagg () ARUP COM AU>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 09:54:00 +1100

I tried using

NT4 , sp6 copying to Netware 5 server

and

NT4, sp6 copying to RedHat linux box running samba 2.0.6

and encountered no problems.

Stefan Rothenbühler <d-e-a-t-h () GMX NET> 24/1/01 6:41:35 pm >>>
Hello everybody!

Sorry for my bad english. I hope you can understand my question.
In our school we have a windows nt network based on a novell network.
In our home-directory i created a file. I renamed the file to the ASCII-Char
255. Like this:
                 w:\>ren test.txt <ALT 255>.
I tried to copy the file to another network device.
                 w:\>Copy <ALT 255> h:\
I was in the DOS-Console of Windows NT.
First my PC crashed. In a few minutes all pc's of our classroom hanged.
We tried to log again on but we couldn't.
Now my question:
Is this the ASCII-Char who makes problems?
Is this a bug of Windows NT or of the Novell File-Server?

                 Thanks a lot for the answer

                 Stefan R.

                 --------------------------------
                 Stefan Rothenbühler