Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: WIN2K security bug with FTP. Bug allows any file to be deleted from the remote system.

From: Egemen Tas <egement () KARYDE COM TR>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 19:34:38 -0800

Well...
I think this bug in ftp.exe have no uses in practice.I think no one will use
so as a penetration testing tecnique.
But theoretically there exists a formatting  string vulnerability in ftp
client that can be use to force the system do some things with the security
context of logged on user.(Not a serious bug)
If I were in the MS Security Team , I would class this bug as a code quality
bug and give low privilege to release a patch for..

Regards
Egemen Tas