Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Potential hole in Ettercap 0.6.2

From: Melsa <3Melsa3 () mail ru>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:20:05 +0100

i have suse 7.3 pro ,
i have test

ettercap 0.6.2 (c) 2001 ALoR & NaGA

linux:~ # ettercap %x%x%x%x%x%x%x

Invalid host address %x%x%x%x%x%x%x !!

Am 04.12.2001 19:33:16, schrieb Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>:

Goobles sent another post to vuln-dev today, which was rejected due
to personal attacks in their note.  I want to check out their claim,
however.  If you want to see their original posting, it's on their
web site like the others, I'm sure.  It includes a claimed exploit,
which cannot be posted due to their wishes that it not be separated
from the advisory.  If someone wants to write an independent exploit,
I'd be happy to post that, provided it follows the list rules,
of course.

Here's the basic problem:

ettercap %x%x%x%x%x%x%x
ettercap 0.6.2 brought from the dark side of the net by ALoR and NaGA...

may the packets be with you...

Invalid host address 807a0ef807a0e900bffffb71bffff850805ad52 !!

Gobbles' point is that there is an option to configure it suid,
so this could be exploitable when that is used.  Why someone
would want a packet capture program to be used by non-priv users..
Well, I'm sure there's a good reason somewhere in the world.

Is anyone using it that way?  Are there OS distributions that come
with Ettercap installed by default?  And, of course, is it suid?
(I can't imagine it would be.)  The workaround is obvious, don't
run it suid or allow remote users who do not already have a shell
to execute it with a command-line parameter (such as via a web
interface.)

                                      BB