Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Can anyone verify a core dump on /sbin/mingetty

From: Derry Hamilton <derry.hamilton () pa press net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 11:47:12 +0000

This appears to be the case with the Debian version as well.
It is due to an unprotected strcat in open_tty(void).  This is trivially fixed
as follows:

163a164
      #define BUFLEN 20
165c166
<       char buf[20];
---
      char buf[BUFLEN];
166a168
      int bufremaining=BUFLEN;
183c185,186
<       strcat (buf, tty);
---
      bufremaining -= strlen(buf);
      strncat (buf, tty,bufremaining);

There are unprotected buffers all over the place in mingetty.c,
which leads me to conclude that other buffer overflows are very likely.

*nix Issue - Anyone with 'mingetty':

After all the vi overflows, and wu-ftpd etc recently I thought I would have a
sniff around a default redhat 7.1 box too see what I could find.  Anyway I
managed to dump core on /sbin/mingetty and thought it would be worth
reporting:
[m0le@mainframe /sbin]$ ./mingetty `perl -e 'print "A"x9000'`
Segmentation fault
[m0le@mainframe /sbin]$

--
Derry Hamilton, rasilon () tardis ed ac uk
"I think your cats need tuning - according to a couple of quick measurements