Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Grokster and possible trojan

From: "Michael" <scorpsec () optushome com au>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 10:58:59 +1100

I had this same thing on my Win98 machine the other day, but without
Grokster. Could be a totally different thing, but ohwell ;)

Turned out that in \windows, there was a hidden folder called "explorer",
with explorer.exe in it. Norton AV picked it up as Backdoor.Trojan, and I
removed it immediately. Before I did that, I was getting Visual C++ errors
from "explorer.exe", which first made me a bit suspicious about what someone
could have put on my computer..

Hope that helps.