Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Sendmail-8.11.2 / persistent connections

From: Lindsey Simon <lsimon () auschron com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:18:43 -0500

For the last two days we've been trying to figure out why all our email clients were timing out with
our mail server. I've since installed postfix and that fixed the problem. Essentially, it seems we
were attacked by some sort of persistent connection from a few IPs consistently.

This was one:

209.151.233.24 / fix.your.open.relay.or.die.net

sendmail: ./f6V4kIr13292 fix.your.open.relay.or.die.net.: client DATA status

Our Norton AV gateway makes it appear that we're an open relay even though we're not. But whatever
was happening was killing our ability to send email and I just wanted to bring this up and see if
anyone has experienced something similar.

-lindsey