Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

RE: Suspicious joe.exe

From: "Petruzel, Oliver" <OliverP () aegisresearch com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 11:23:33 -0400

Well, the kaiten.c DDoS comes to mind.  it's an updated knight.c DoS that
someone has simply renamed to joe when they compiled it...or maybe they
added to it.

basically, from what i know of it (which is admittedly very little since ive
never seen it near me) is that you've been zombie-fied.  for IRC DDoS.  I
also dont know the "cleaning" process offhand, but im sure symantec or
someone has one since the source for kaiten.c is readily available
everywhere. (packetstorm)

do me a favor, plz analyze it with everything you can get your hands on.
just to make sure "joe" didnt add to kaiten.  I would check your logs and
start from there... shouldnt be too hard since the box is 2 weeks old,
right?  If you need help analyzing the logs, ill help any way i can.  we all
will :)

but you've most certainly been compromised = my guess.

1. is it a production box? internet facing? web server?  what is it?...

-oliver p.