Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: ICMP and BlackICE (fwd)

From: James Robbins <robbins.7 () OSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:24:24 -0400

At 10:15 AM 9/6/00, anon6774 () HUSHMAIL COM wrote:

I thoughti would share something i noticed about BlackICE, the popular home
IDS/firewall product by NetworkICE - it cannot be configured to block ICMP.
This is in contrast to TCP and UDP traffic that is governed by rules in
the firewall.ini file.  I contacted Network Ice on this and, several emails
later - they seemed to have trouble grasping the thought i would want to
deny a ping - i was told that i really wouldnt want to block any ICMP traffic
and, that a future release would allow it.

Note - Configuring it to block a specific IP will block ICMP traffic as
well.

jed,
   We just got bit by this a little while ago.  You cannot block all
ICMP traffic.  Ping is only one type of service sent over ICMP.
A list of the services supported by ICMP are:

Echo Reply (Ping)
Destination Unreachable
Source Quench
Redirect (change a route)
Echo Request (Ping)
Time Exceeded for a Datagram
Parameter Problem on a Datagram
Timestamp Request
Timestamp Reply
Information Request
Information Reply
Address Mask Request
Address Mask Reply

Some of these you can block with no ill effect.  Others will
break a lot of stuff.

--
James A. Robbins
Senior Design Engineer, Network Engineer