Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: stackguard-like embedded protection

From: Greg KH <greg () WIREX COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2000 13:44:57 -0700

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 11:21:20AM +0200, Bluefish (P.Magnusson) wrote:

From what I remember from bugtraq, it seems to be quite tricky to provide
a good patch to this problem. So I wonder, has any of these tools
(ProPolice, libsafe, StackGuard or StackShield) added anything to
combat formatation bugs, or if it's an active research area.

I know that StackGuard and ProPolice can't combat formation bugs, and I
am guessing that libsafe and StackShield can't either (once you can
write arbitrary data to any spot in memory, you can get around any of
these protections.

And yes, it is an active research area...

One nice advantage of running a box protected by StackGuard, like
Immunix OS, is the offsets in most all pre-packaged crack scripts for
the format bugs don't seem to work :)

greg k-h

--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com