Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Remote exploitation of network scanners?

From: Andrew Scott Reisse <areisse () WAM UMD EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2000 11:44:03 -0400

Yes. There are kernel patches that do this kind of stuff. A very nicely
configurable kernel security patch is medusa. I forgot where to get it but
if anyone wants it I have the source. You define rules of what a process
can access in a config file and can make syscalls (like socket()) change
access.

I just had a funny idea - how about a application preloader or something
that intercepts syscalls and/or library function calls, and when the time
comes (configurable), drops privileges?  setuid(nobody) and stuff?

Configurable on a per-application basis, as to just when the time has
come - e.g. after a socket(), or after a bind(), or something like that..
Has anybody thought along those lines?  Is there something already out
there, or should I try to tackle this as an exercise in messing with
the loader? :)

(And yes, I am aware of the portability problems in intercepting
 syscalls.. I might just as well give it a try, based on strace, and
 fbsd's ktrace.. or something..)

G'luck,
Peter

--
When you are not looking at it, this sentence is in Spanish.