Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: All Advantage Spyware

From: Jonathan Rickman <jonathan () XCORPS NET>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 18:27:58 -0400

On Sat, 9 Sep 2000, Daehlie Owns wrote:

Attention AllAdvantage Users:

It has come to my attention, that All Advantage corp. 's software for
surfing the net for money, has some dll files that do some interesting
things.
They are detailed in this text file, written by acecww,
http://home.cyberarmy.com/acecww/advert.txt , please read it, it shows
many things, such as screwing with the registery, and unregistering
dll's, replacing the code, then when your browser closes, putting
everything back to the way it was. Anyone else have any comments,
questions, or just plain outrage, please reply to this email.

--Daehlie

This is not exactly breaking news, but it should still spark plenty of
outrage. A few of us on the list have been working on a project to
document the various spyware systems and detail how they operate from a
"techie's" point of view. If you'd like to help out with this project you
can visit my site or email me directly. We are currently focused on the
Aureate / Radiate system, which uses the advert.dll file you mentioned.
After reading through the disassembly (over 200,000 lines) it appears that
nothing is amiss. Let me know if you'd like a copy of the disassembly and
I'll send you a link. It's a 7 meg download, but it never hurts to have
some extra pairs of eyeballs looking it over. Steve Gibson has performed
some research on this in the past and has come to the same conclusion that
we are rapidly approaching, the advert.dll is basically harmless unless
used in conjunction with another exploit, such as using a browser
vulnerability to write to the hosts file, thus redirecting the dll to a
server of your choosing. There it will download and run any exe named
update-dll.exe, regardless of it's size. In short, the potential for abuse
is there, it's up to us to find a practical way to exploit it and raise
the level of awareness. It is our hope that this approach might put an end
to this problem once and for all.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security