Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Windows file problem

From: Kris Carlier <root () iguana be>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2000 21:02:48 +0200

Matt,

Am I mising something? or is this just a flaw in windows (tested on
windows nt 4.0 doesn't seem to work on windows 98, but need to try
creating the file with vi.exe)

sorry to dissapoint you, but it seems you re-discovered alternate
file/data streams. what's more, if you type filename::$data you should see
the contents of the file itself.

Recently I saw somebody re-discovered that with this very item you can
fool quota-software. Corresponded about that very thing with David Leblanc
about a year ago.
What's more:

shift>piaff
for /l %i in (1,1,9999999) do type yourfavorite_big_file.bmp > piaff:secret%i

Look what happens...
Then try to delete the file, and see your NT-server kneel for you

kr=

                   \\\___///
                  \\  - -  //
                   (  @ @  )
 |        kris carlier - kris () iguana be    |
 | Hiroshima 45, Tsjernobyl 86, Windows 95 |
 | Linux, the choice of a GNU gener8ion    |
 | KC62-RIPE          SMS: +32-75-61.43.05 |
                  oooO   (   )
                   \_)