Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: HSS Attack (?)

From: Simple Nomad <thegnome () NMRC ORG>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2000 19:20:36 -0600

I guess there are several possibilities. First off, HSS could be refering
to a model of Sikorsky (sp) helicopter used a few decades ago by the
military. This would make sense in light of the "restoration took us
little longer than we initially expected" comment, but then again it is
unlikely that attack helicopters would simply target servers. HSS could
also be the Hardware Systems and Support group in the U.S. Army I believe,
possibly confused over the US WARE name via an Echelon algorithmic glitch
launching a pre-emptive strike, but again doubtful.

My guess is the HSS stands for High Speed Serial, and might refer to the
3Com Netbuilder router hardware that supports HSS v.35, in which case it
is probably a misuse of terms or perhaps an attack that affects Netbuilder
gear.

Of course it could be a combination of the first two items, though....

;-)

-         Simple Nomad          -     "No rest for the Wicca'd"     -
-      thegnome () nmrc org        -                                   -
-  thegnome () razor bindview com  - www.nmrc.org   razor.bindview.com -