Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Apache ap_getpass vulnerability

From: Peter Pentchev <roam () ORBITEL BG>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:36:28 +0200

On Mon, Jan 03, 2000 at 09:50:57PM +0100, Simon Tamas wrote:
If you have an Apache module and your module uses configuration
directives then configuration
records are set up at your modules start up. At this point I thought it
was possible to call
ap_getpass() to fill a value in the configuration record (value of
passphrase acoompanying
the privatekey -- which is filled with ap_set_file_slot())
However I also found difficulties getting user input at module start-up.
Looks like my hook function is called twice, and at the second time
there is no tty
Any help on this would be appreciated.

You mean you're writing an Apache module that reads user input at
the time the server is starting?..  Does this mean that the server
startup itself becomes interactive?  This pretty much rules out
unattended Apache startup - you need to start the server manually
each time it dies; also, it cannot be put in the system's startup
scripts.  IMHO, this is not such a good idea :(

G'luck,
Peter

--
This would easier understand fewer had omitted.