Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: dos commands via iis 4 (TFTP)

From: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh () POP JARING MY>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 09:20:09 +0800

At 10:52 AM 15-11-2000 -0600, MadHat wrote:
Lincoln Yeoh wrote:

At 12:25 PM 13-11-2000 -0600, MadHat wrote:
So after this, there is a port open (22 in this case as many admins will
leave this open for SSH, but this is an NT box, which as we know rarely
has SSH running on it) that I can telnet to and have a command prompt.

How about port 80? Most firewalls would allow arbitrary stuff through to
that server on port 80, since it's already a webserver.
To do that you have to kill the web server, and if something like
BigBrother or WhatsUp is running, it has the chance to bind to the port

I seem to recall that you could hijack port 80, or even 139 on windows
machines, without bringing down the service. And you can do that with netcat.
e.g. nc -L -s interface.ip.address.here -p 80

I haven't checked to see if that feature has been fixed in the latest
service packs.

If it's not fixed, or it's fixed using some obscure hotfix, then I figure
the chances are good :). And after you're done, kill your netcat and things
are back to normal.

Cheerio,
Link.