Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: netscape 4.61 recognizes file.changed-doc/xls

From: gareth () UBERDOG NET (Gareth Jones)
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 20:05:07 +0100

From: "Chad Thunberg" <chadth () OBFUSTECH COM>
Upon receiving the email, the attachment's name was
changed to test.1234DEFACED-DOC and test.1234DEFACED-XLS.  After double
clicking the attachments, netscape mail gives the user the option of
opening
the file with winword.exe and excel.exe.  We also tested with .bat and
various other .ext but only winword and excel associated files were
recognized.  Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Are you sure that the problem is in Netscape mail? I ask because if you are
running office on top of NT, word and excel files are correctly recognised
even if they have no extensions.

Gareth