Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

warftpd exploit?

From: mixter () NEWYORKOFFICE COM (Martin Ixter)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:00:12 +0300

WarFTPd 1.66 - 1.67 can be crashed due to an un-checked
buffer for the CWD command, as this DoS exploit by eth0 from b0f
shows. Now, it seems that the ret address can't be overwritten (so it is
probably a dynamic buffer, and therefore a heap or data overflow)...
I've seen some heap overflows against ftp servers that store the
ret address in the PASS command of an anonymous login (since that's
allocated on the stack).. does anyone think it is possible to actually
exploit warftpd with a similar technique (I'm not sure if this is a heap
overflow... sorry for incorrect assumptions, but I'm not a win32 debugger :)

-Mixter

mixter () newyorkoffice com
http://1337.tsx.org

<HR NOSHADE>