Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: CGI source being exposed using "~"

From: RichardS () ADV NET NZ (Richard Stevenson)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:35:51 +1200

On 7 May 2000, at 15:02, Nathan Einwechter wrote:

This problem allows anyone to view and download the source for any of the
CGI scripts on their site. All that I did, was put a tild "~" at the end of
the url to the cgi, and it popped up with the CGI source code, and some
images etc, which the code references to within. None of it is formated when
you first view it. However, if you just view the source of the page, right
there infront of you, is the entire source code for the Perl CGI script.

Almost certainly Emacs backup files.  They really ought to have better
change-control than Emacs backup files...  they are almost certainly not
*current* copies of the scripts, but will likely give away more information
than is necessary.

I stumbled onto this because of a page I found on the server (I can't
remember for the life of me where it was). It was a server generated page,
that said something about base names, that there where 229, and displayed
four links. http://server/cgi-bin/index.html
http://server/cgi-bin/index.html~  [base] http://server/cgi-bin/index.cgi
http://server/cgi-bin/index.cgi~   [base]

My guess is that they allow listings of directories that don't have an
index.html (or equivalent - this is configurable), so you got a pretty
directory listing.  That shouldn't be allowed in general, and definitely
not in /cgi-bin :-(

Cheers

Richard