Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Subject line observation

From: crispin () WIREX COM (Crispin Cowan)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 01:10:56 +0000

"Robert G. Ferrell" wrote:

Noticing the flurry of rejected messages I got back associated with the ILOVEYOU
virus message post that I made 6 hours ago, it occurs to me that a very
effective, if short-lived, DoS could be constructed by writing a similar virus
and sending it out with very common words in the subject line, like "Security"
or "Alert" or "Windows" or "Issues" or "Buffer" or a host of others.  If, for
example, people started filtering out all messages with the word "Security" in
them because of a virus, that would bring several of the mailing lists I'm on
almost to a halt.  If the virus had a small database of those words and was
self-modifying to choose one at random when it duplicated....

15 years ago, there was a rumor (now known to be true
) that the NSA was scanning the net for seditious traffic.  Civil libertarians
responded by creating .sig files filled with seditious key words such as "bomb",
"terrorist", "communist", "frisbee" :-) and "pizza" :-)

Crispin
-----
Crispin Cowan, CTO, WireX Communications, Inc.    http://wirex.com
Free Hardened Linux Distribution:                 http://immunix.org