Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: DOYOUFEELLOVED?

From: mpotter () ATPCO COM (Matthew R. Potter)
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 02:32:55 -0400

At 04:55 PM 5/5/00 -0500, rain forest puppy wrote:
Variants...derivitives...spawns...it's interesting to watch everyone
scramble to implement this or that filtering now.

yeah those NIPC advisorys were oh so helpfull, NIPC is CERT ver 2.0.

You'd think you would have learned from Melissa.  Well, are you going to
learn now?  Rather than attaching assinine and contrieved dollar values to
the 'damanges' after this mess subsides, how about implementing proper
attachement filtering, cleaning up scripting on the clients, and in
general, implementing a user education program?

Yup lets Bullshit about dollar amounts. The FBI/NIPC/.gov/THE MAN knows
that what makes headlines.
That is what gets them more more to fuck the american public and keep their
little programs/ideology running.

I remeber history class. I rember a second rate bungled burglary(yeah g
gordon liddys 31337 hi tech tape over the lock technique!) took down a
president. it's the litlle things that get ya, eh? So does it suprise
you(the .GOV) that a kid wrote this bullshit little script disrupted a good
portion of the world? The only reason they come up with these huge dollar
amoutns is the sentencing guidelines. so whoever they lay this shit on gets
a good size upward adjustment for "damages" plus as special skill upward
departure for some silly  hack?

If a company is claiming $10 million in damages (and some are), then why
not take $1 million and clean up your act?

Yeah it;s $3 for a pack of rubbers and or lot more for a kid or VD.
proactivness is better as well as cheaper :)

Or do you just want to wait until next week's variant?  I admit, I feel no
recourse for anything related to this virus.  You can't say people didn't
see it coming.  But it seems to be more profitable for the industry to
take a reactive stance, rather than be proactive.

It benifits the .gov AND the "industry" to sell paranoia and ex post facto
'solutions'.

enjoy the fun,

Matthew