Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: spoofing the ethernet address

From: mudge () L0PHT COM (Mudge)
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:56:16 -0500

DLPI and /dev/nit will allow you to write the raw ether frame. As will
linux raw sockets.

On BSD style systems the driver itself will often place the legitimate
ether address back in to the frame before sending the packet. Even if you
have handed in data expecting otherwise. You will need to make a one or
two line code change to the driver and recompile it into the kernel if you
want to change the outgoing ether address.

This is what we had to do for AntiSniff on OpenBSD.

cheers,

.mudge