Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Explorer crashes when it sees this .lnk file

From: sjohns11 () GL UMBC EDU (steve johnson)
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 20:36:06 -0500

I have yet to try this on my windows box, but I think this .lnk may just
be a corrupted link. I have also known uploading a corrupted link to a
serv-u ftp server to wreak a little havoc as well. In theory, any windows
user could corrupt a windows shortcut, upload it to serv-u and disable the
server to some extent (provided my guess about the .lnk file being simply
a corrupted link is correct).

I couldn't even read the message.  Eudora would crash when
it tried to open it.  Scrolling down to try to see the file would
crash Windows 98 when the file just came into view in the
window.