Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Crashing Win9x with smbclient - But NT & W2K?

From: 11a () GMX NET (Bluefish)
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:53:19 +0200

The problem seems to be in OSR2. Also, it seems to be harder (= you have
to try more often) to reproduce it on slower systems, my P120 is more or
less invulnerable against it. You have to try a lot to make it go down.

Additionally, the bug has different effects. In my tests, I could do it
and it then took several minutes before the computer went down, so a
"success" can be misstaken for "system invulnerable".

But from what I gathered, this attack only has effect on Windows9x, so
except making various "mirkkwariors" happy, it's no security concern.

     http://www.11a.nu || http://bluefish.11a.nu
    eleventh alliance development & security team