Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Exploiting any network protocol with secondary data channels opened from the server

From: mikael.olsson () ENTERNET SE (Mikael Olsson)
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:45:46 +0100

Darren Reed <avalon () COOMBS ANU EDU AU> recently wrote something
regarding all the fuss about the FTP data channel vulnerabilities,
that gave me the creeps:

I don't need to use a bad hyperlink in HTML to do the above, I can
equally use Java.

Which is extremely vile, since there is NO WAY that any type firewall
can differentiate a Java-driven FTP session from a "normal" FTP
session. The fix for FTP is to simply disallow all active FTP,
but what about protocols that do not support "passive" modes?

Anyone care to go dig up some protocols which open secondary data
channels from the server to the client, and then write a java
component that emulates an outbound client command session that
fools firewalls into opening dangerous data connections?

Basic idea would be something like this:

* Make client connect to www.rooted.com somehow
  (there are lots of ways)

* Have client download a java applet
  (which ~99% of all browsers will do automagically)

* Have the java applet connect to www.rooted.com (this is allowed
  by the java spec) on a specific port (21 in the case of FTP)

* Send a perfectly legal command stream which makes the firewall
  think that the client wants to accept a connection from
  www.rooted.com to some exploitable port number (which we
  know there are lots of).
  The exact methology here is ofcourse protocol dependant.

The way I see it, the long term fix is to abolish all protocols
that open secondary data channels from server to client.
One could argue that one can also fix it by abolishing java,
but I don't really agree, as I have a feeling that lots of
other things can be abused to accomplish pretty much the
same thing.

The real challenge however is to get app developers to realize
that they can't open connections from servers to clients any more.
Ack.:-P

--
Mikael Olsson, EnterNet Sweden AB, Box 393, S-891 28 ÖRNSKÖLDSVIK
Phone: +46 (0)660 105 50           Fax: +46 (0)660 122 50