Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Warning! 'shell://' with win98 causes endless problems

From: antitrack_legend () TELEKABEL AT (Alex Schuetz)
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 12:59:21 +0200

Dear people,

I just dipped deeper into the "shell://" problem using _Windows98_
instead of WinNt/2k. For me, it causes endless problems. After exactly
30 minutes of operation, Win98 started to block every TCPIP packet,
every ping from my host resulted in an immediate "Error 10050" (whatever
that is). No packet goes in or out alive.

Trying to reproduce the error sooner by pushing forward the local time
(DOS command.com box, "time" command) after rebooting didn't help to
make the error occur "sooner". Since I tried out the "shell://" pattern
the first time, now I'll have to pray every 30 minutes that the @#!
computer will please,please keep sending/receiving my internet packets.
Oh, shit....

I also found out there were some remains in the (run/runonce/runonceEX)
registry from a firewall called ZoneAlarm. Maybe the bug somehow
triggered these remains to block everything every 30 minutes. It's just
a theory. But I'll keep you up to date as soon as I find out more.
Comments welcome.

Dazed and confused,

Alex