Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: HP LaserJet 4 Series Jet Direct

From: RichardS () ADV NET NZ (Richard Stevenson)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:45:33 +1200

On 18 Jun 2000, at 20:21, Blue Boar wrote:

Ryan Yagatich wrote:

With the HP LaserJet 4 series Jet direct card you can telnet to port 9099
on the printer's IP address and type any text and on disconnect the page
will be printed.

I'm sure that has been mentioned on Bugtraq before - around 97 or 98,
possibly.  So I can print using netcat :-)

Not really seeing how the second choice keeps me from using as much toner
and paper.  There have been some really interesting attacks against HP's
JetDirect cards in the past though... keep looking.

It's really a site problem... think of unfirewalled sites with one of these
things sitting accessible to the net.  Bad idea to start with, but off the
top of my head, I can think of a couple of sites that do just this, and I
can have a lot of fun with them (one is a small business, and the other is
a large educational institution).  Real solution:  sort out your security
policy and firewall your network.

Cheers

--
Richard Stevenson
ADV E-Commerce, Auckland

"I've been bitten at least as badly.  I poured 7 years into helping make
 SunOS 4.x a great operating system only to have it ripped away and replaced
 with that Solaris thing."
                -- Larry McVoy, in linux-kernel