Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: BitchX /ignore bug

From: goat () PHOENIX ISN NET (Steve Mosher)
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 19:47:26 -0300

On Fri, 07 Jul 2000, Mikael Olsson wrote:
Hehe, no, sorry to disappoint you. It isn't. They are quick, dirty
hacks that do everything from "plain not work" to do buffer overruns
and printf exploits on themselves.

        Oh. Honestly, when I got into security, it was because I was
interested in h^Hcracking. It wasn't so much that I wanted to
do it, it just seemed magical somehow. I spent a lot of time reading about
it. After a while, I started looking for exploits in any system, by it's
operational description alone. I do this automatically now, which is how I
assumed these people worked.
        So, I suppose you're right, but I would like to think that some of
these people are actually intelligent and professional in some way.

--
Shop smart, shop S-Mart!
        - Ash