Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: File Share Vacuum

From: John_Simons () MCKINSEY COM (John Simons)
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:33:08 -0500

Look for backups of the registry file.  Files with the .reg extension that
are larger than 100kb.

How about offering this product as a commercial security tool to scan for
workstation vulnerabilities?  $$ Cha-Ching!

Jonas Denily wrote:

I recently decided to create a program for Windows users to scan their
network for open file shares.  When a share is detected, you can map a
drive
or you may brute force crack the share if protected.  The vacuum part is
the
ability to scan the remote HD for files that may contain important
information.  I have set up a great many such as FTP sitelists, ICQ dat
files, various ISP ins files, *.pwl, etc.

Also look for *.id files (Lotus Notes), and preferences.js and prefs.js.
Bookmark.htm, and the history file, too.

I was wondering how I would go
about searching the registry remotely or I would be greatly appreciative
if
someone could send me a list of file names, default directory, and
program/version they belong too. I am currently compiling a large list
of
these and the user has the ability to choose which ones to vacuum and
also
add custom files.  If you know of any of these such files, please email
me.

Ideally, you'll need registry access.  Citrix/MS Terminal Server client
store some passwords there, for example.

By default, NT machines allow remote access to the registry if you
connects as a user with sufficient privs (well, by default, everyone
can read and write WAY too much of the registry.)  For Win9x, it's not
so automatic:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/winresource/dnwin95/S647C.htm

Basically, you'd be looking for the ADMIN$ share.  If that's not there,
you'll have to figure out a way to push code onto the box.

Sounds like a fun project in general, though.  I'd often thought that
it would be worthwhile to have a good list of things that are interesting
to steal off a Windows box.

| This message may contain confidential and/or privileged     |
| information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to |
| receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,     |
| disclose or take any action based on this message or any    |
| information herein.  If you have received this message in   |
| error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail |
| and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.   |