Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Notes Domino Server Platform for e-commerce?

From: derek () INFINET COM (Derek Reynolds)
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:10:27 -0500

Hello Marc,

Notes has been out much longer then Apache.  It's got at least 10
years on it. There have been 0 password issues to
date.  I can list at least 20 issues with Apache in the last year but
can't think of 2 for Domino.

As my statement stands. I would deam Domino/Notes as secure.

Also your statement:
No, if you want a more robust webserver, try apache, I'm *positive* it was
audited far more than any webserver on the planet, WebSphere included.

Do you have any clue why Apache is named what it is?  It was named
Apache because there where so many problems with it "A PATCH" was created
so often they decided to call it A PAtCH E.  Also note that a web
server such as Apache alone is not truly a dedicated
EBusiness/Ecommerce based webserver. It requires many modules which
haven't been put to the test.  Apache alone is far from a good
transaction based Web Server.  That is where WebSphere accelerates.

We are talking about Ebusiness, Marc. Not marcs.homepage.com

--
Best regards,
 Derek                            mailto:derek () infinet com

Wednesday, February 09, 2000, 11:04:37 AM, you wrote:
To date I have seen 0 issues with password problems and Notes/Domino.

ME> Does it mean that there are 0 (zero) issues? I'm not so sure.
ME> Was that Domino server ever audited?, are there overflows hidden deep
ME> within? I'm sure there are.

ME> What you're saying is, you're just running Domino, sitting and waiting for
ME> someone to come up with exploits for it, way to go.

ME> Can you trust a software which you don't have sources to? absolutely not.

The
Notes password is stored in an ID file.  For Inet use, the password is
like I said, stored within a database which is encrypted in a field. (64bit
International/128bit North American).

ME> What kind of algorithm are we talking about here, size doesn't *awalys*
ME> matter ;)

If you want a more robust web server, try WebSphere.  IBM's HTTPD.  A
great 'E-Commerce' webserver with tons going for it.  Check it out.