Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: distributed.net and seti@home

From: Steffen.Zahn () ICN SIEMENS DE (Steffen Zahn)
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:30:32 +0100

Granquist, Lamont <lamont () ICOPYRIGHT COM> writes:

I did some porting work on seti@home back when I admin'd more than
just Linux boxes, so I had the source, and really you were just
doing FFTs precisely like the web page describes.  Of course I
can't confirm that the data was *really* aracebo data and that it
wasn't some NSA-inspired FFT-based factoring scheme to crack the
Russian's RSA missile codes.  And of course I always secretly
suspected that the linux porter had encoded a package into the
binary distrubution which patched your kernel to rootkit your box
and disable correct strace()ing of the seti@home binary, but I
never had time to disassemble it on an uncompromised box and prove
it.

Your claims regarding the Linux binaries are completely false. I did
only port the generic Unix sources of seti@home. I did NOT add any
of the security compromises you mention to the Linux binaries.
You should not make such claims without providing any evidence.

Steffen Zahn

--
business email:user@domain where domain=icn.siemens.de,user=Steffen.Zahn
Any opinions expressed  herein are not necessarily  those of my employer.