Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: IE5 Crash

From: Dzzie Z <dzzie () YAHOO COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:17:19 -0500

1)  Javascript Recognized But Not Instantiated:  The HTTP Redirection code
knows enough about Javascript to recognize it being called, but doesn't know
enough to actually complete the call.

        it is a strange crash...before my system updates, javascript alerts would
fire when being fired from this method, might be worth saying that at that
time I only tried with built in objects and no quotes like
navigator.userAgent...if you do a javascript: redirect in response to the
browser following the click of a link...you can get about anythign to run,
acting as though the javascript: url had been typed into the page...

        the real idea of this came from one of Guninski's cross frame exploits
where he used a js redirection triggered from a window.open event to run
code that could access frames in different security zones.

http://www.guninski.com/jsredir1-desc.html

        trying to get a browser to automatically trigger such an event with the
img src= was just kind of a logical side step...

 Do all Javascript references
cause failures, or just this one?  What about vbscript?

        after I updated my scriptign engines to version 5.6 everything script
related is crashing me both in vbscript and jscript...oddly enough they
only crash the current IE window other windows are unaffected...I also
noticed that the file:// con\con crash was enough to crash it out (not the
BSOD just the same URLMON.DLL crash) but file://c:\windows\clouds.gif
returned fine...

        I suppose this is just another one of those lame bugs out there..but it is
curious to tinker with anyway...I really dont have the expertise to do much
more with this...I was just bringing up the idea to others...anyways thanks
for the thoughts : )