Vulnerability Development mailing list archives

Re: Cookies

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () PRIVACYFOUNDATION ORG>
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 16:28:15 -0400

Hi George,

Yep, I thought about it some.  Never did an experiments however.
I assume that it is illegal to break into someone else's Web server
in this way.  The nickname I gave to the problem is "poison cookie".
It seems like it might happen pretty often.  I doubt
a lot of programmers validate their cookie values since they
assume the values are okay because they wrote them in the first place.
The buffer overflows could occur in a number of different
places:

    - The Web server software
    - A database engine that is passed a cookie value
    - A CGI script written in C or C++ that process cookies
    - The interface code that processes a cookie for a
      scripting engine for a language like Perl, PHP,
      VBScript or JavaScript.

Besides buffer overflows, in might also be possible to
break into a database if a cookie value is blindly pasted
into an SQL statement.

Richard